Ask the experts

Ask the experts

We look at some of the most common questions posed to our underwriters.

Q: Do you offer indemnity insurance for properties in Scotland?

A: We have a number of policies available specifically for Scottish defective title issues, as well as adapted versions of many of our existing covers. These covers include:

  • Building Warrant
  • Bankruptcy (Scotland) Act
  • Contaminated Land
  • Mining/Mineral Rights
  • Access and Services

To find out more about our indemnity covers for Scottish properties, or to obtain a quote, please feel free to get in touch.

Q: When scanning title deeds, the Land Registry has messed up and destroyed some pages of the original document. Is this something you can help with?

A: It very much depends on what cover is required. We've seen a considerable increase in the number of requests for this, which feedback suggests has been due to errors by the Land Registry when scanning documents.

When looking at these enquiries, we first have to establish the nature of the document and what pages are missing before we can offer cover. If it's a page in a lease plan, for example, it could be the case that the wording of the lease mentions rights of access over a coloured area. Without the plan to identify the area concerned, the leaseholder doesn't know for sure which areas they're allowed to use. In this example, we'd usually provide an Access indemnity policy for ineffective rights of way due to the missing plan.

Whatever the circumstances though, we'll always do our utmost to help and offer a quote where we can, so please feel free to contact us.

Q: Does your chancel repair policy cover the leaseholder if a freeholder incurs a liability and passes it on as a service charge?

A: Yes. Under our standard chancel repair policy, we will still protect a leasehold property if the freeholder incurs a chancel repair liability and passes it onto the leaseholder by way of a service charge. As our cover insures the current and future owners and any lessee/mortgagees, both the freeholder and lessee would be covered.